- Hand Scythe - great for chop and drop
- Scythe - for mowing and chopping grasses. Lead with the tip. Sharpen with a wet sharpening stone
- Broadfork - aerates the soil
- King of Spades – better than a shovel. Can use as a lever, also has sharp tips for cutting roots
- Hori Hori – Japanese for “dig dig”. Is both a spade and a knife with serrated edges. Great for planting and cutting deep weed roots.
Along the way we've picked up tips on the best tools for human powered maintenance of productive land. We've included some pictures below, and you can follow the links to a product provider we've used or has been recommended to us.